Did the Beast from the East set back your health and fitness goals? It’s tough to stay active in cold weather at the best of times, but a thick layer of snow not only puts most of us off exercising outdoors, it also can make it difficult to eat well. I certainly felt like loading up the carbs and hybernating at times over the last few days! So what can we do to make sure we get it right and feel good at the same time during the colder more miserable weather?
- Drink plenty of water - it can be warm, flavoured, herbal tea… just make sure you stay hydrated as it will keep the cravings at a more manageable level
- Think about what you’re eating, why not make soup! Soup often has a warming homley feel to it, it can be like a comfort food for some. Home made vegetable soup can be eaten regularly and only adds to your vegetable intake so it’s great when you’re feeling peckish. Why not make a pot and have it in the fridge ready to go?
- Find ways to exercise or stay active. Get out for a walk if you can, go to an exercise class, hoover the stairs, just get your body moving. Stimulating your body will make you feel better and keep the lethergy at bay.
- Be prepared to change your training plan. If the conditions are dangerous or extreme it’s not worth putting yourself or your wellbeing at risk. Find an alternative activity or change the days you train. No goal is worth risking unnecessary injury or illness.
- Be honest with yourself, and don’t expect too much, but stay focused, if your goals are worth attaining there is always a way to make it work and get there, even if you have to adapt to the conditions.
You and your goals are worth a few minutes consideration